Spend an amazing and adventurous eleven-day vacation, exploring the coastal area of KwaZulu Natal. Witness the beauty of South Africa from the scenic mountains to dry savannahs, historic battlefields and thrilling Big Five game viewing at the Phinda Resource Reserve.
Your full-filled self-drive is carefully planned to ensure that you get to experience much of what the region has to offer. Your trip starts at the magnificent Drakensberg Mountains where you get a chance to relax and connect with mother nature.
It takes you to the Buffalo River – a home to giraffes, zebras and several different species of birds. Next, you travel down to the coastal areas of KZN, where you spend your time at the Rocktail Camp, enjoying a cool drink as you unwind at a sandy beach. Your trip concludes with a Big Five safari adventure, allowing you to experience South Africa’s diverse wildlife.
- Prepare meals with an award-winning chef
- Hike or horse ride in the Drakensberg
- Go fly-fishing in the Kamberg Valley
- Re-live history in the Battlefields Region
- Visit the actual Rourke’s Drift battleground
- Stay in a secluded coastal forest reserve
- Dive with turtles & manta rays in the Indian Ocean
- Search for the Big 5 in Phinda
- Stay at award-winning Phinda Forest Lodge
- Enjoy superb bird watching throughout
Type of Accommodation
South Africa Kwazulu-Natal
- 2 nights at Cleopatra Mountain Farmhouse
- 2 nights at Fugitives’ Drift Lodge
- 3 nights at Rocktail Camp
- 3 nights at Phinda Forest Lodge
Day to day itinerary
We promise you that your self-drive trip through the KwaZulu Natal region would be a trip that you would remember for years. Here are the highlights of your first two days.
- Your trip starts with you flying from Johannesburg to Durban.
- hereupon arrival to destination, you pick-up your rented car and start your drive to the picturesque foothills of the mighty Drakensberg Mountains.
- Relax at the hospitable and comfy Cleopatra Mountain Farmhouse as you enjoy the beautiful mountainscapes Of KZN.
Whether you go on hiking or just walk around the scenic region; these two days trip will offer you a chance to release your stress from the daily routine.
On your 3rd day, you get to witness the historic Battlefields of the KwaZulu Natal, as you drive up North. Arrive at the Fugitives’ Drift Lodge, where you get a chance to prepare for an adventure that lies ahead. Set out and re-visit the historical past as you tour some of the battlefields of KZN. Get piece by piece detail s about the Anglo-Zulu war as you roam around the very battlefield where the actual battle event took place. Complete your two days in the area with a trip to the Buffalo River, and get a chance to experience the birdlife at its finest.
The KZN region is best known for its port and surrounding coastal regions, and there is no way you are going on a miss on that! Head to the Rocktail camp, a comforting lodge located on a remote beach along the Maputaland Coastal Forest Reserve. Spend your time snorkeling, diving or simply relaxing by the shore as you spot a wide variety of marine life from sharks to manta rays to beautiful marine life.
Enjoy a filling breakfast before heading down to the Phinda Forest Lodge – located in the Phinda Resource Reserve and best known for its scenic views. Enjoy a fun-filled safari trip by going on action-packed game drives with a chance to spot the Famous 5 along with several other African classics. Experience Africa’s best bird-viewing destination and indulge in the lush green beauty of nature with walks guided by an armed ranger and tracker.
Bid farewell to the Phinda Game Reserve with one last safari and a drive to Durban. End your tour by dropping of the hired car at the airport and head off to your next destination.
- 2 nights at Cleopatra Mountain Farmhouse on a half board basis
- 2 nights at Fugitives’ Drift Lodge on a full board basis
- 3 nights at Rocktail Camp on full board basis
- 3 nights at Phinda Forest Lodge on a fully inclusive basis
- Flight from Johannesburg to Durban
- 11 days car rental
- International flights
- Airport taxes
- All meals and drinks not specified
- Tips and gratuities
- Items of a personal nature